Tuesday, January 12, 2010

THE HEALTH CARE TERROR-GO-ROUND

 
 
DOCTORS ARE BURYING THEIR MISTAKES AND
QUEBEC'S INJUSTICE SYSTEM IS BURYING THE TRUTH
 
 
To: Geoffrey Kelley, MNA
Chair of the Committee on Health and Social Services, Quebec
 
January 9 , 2010
 
Everyone tells me to go somewhere else. But this will not be covered up.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 
FACEBOOK
January 9, 2010
 
Read about How We Might Die In Hospital: How a well-respected emergency room physician at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal sent me home to die. At this writing, the case of Dr. Jerome Stasiak is under review but, to date, I have heard nothing but excuses. I will not let this be covered up. If I had obeyed Dr. Stasiak's orders, I would not be writing this. I would have died in April, 2009.
 
...............................................................
January 8, 2010
 
Mrs Carter,
 
I am following up on the email you sent to Mr. Jeff Kelly Chair of the Committee on Health and Social Services, Quebec. I can understand your frustration and after reading your document and doing some research myself to find answers I have to admit that Mrs. Caouette of Protecteur du citoyen du Québec gave you an excellent suggestion. The Ombudsman of the Jewish General Hospital could be in a position to assist you and then, le College des médecins du Québec if you are not satisfied. 
 
 
Best regards,
 
Louise Sansregret, attachée politique
Responsable du bureau de comté 
Circonscription de Notre-Dame-de-Grâce
5252, boul. de Maisonneuve Ouest
Bureau 210
Montréal (Québec) H4A 3S5
Tél.: 514-489-7581
Téléc.: 514-489-5426
 
 
MY LIFE IS IN NOBODY'S JURISDICTION
 
To Geoffrey Kelley, MNA
Chair of the Committee on Health and Social Services, Quebec.
 
Mr. Kelley,
 
Since I only receive automated replies from my local MNA, Ms. Weil and have never received an answer from her about anything, I am writing to you, in case you actually read your mail and might care.
 
Phyllis Carter
.......................................................
 
 
December 17, 2009  2:30 PM
 
MY LIFE IS IN NOBODY'S JURISDICTION
 
I just received a phone call from Martine Caouette of "Protecteur de Citoyen du Quebec." (See blog for details)
 
She told me that this case is not in their jurisdiction. 
Ms. Caouette told me to go back to the Ombudsman of the Jewish General Hospital.
She told me to go to the College des medecins de Quebec.
She told me to get a lawyer.
 
In a nutshell, my life is in nobody's jurisdiction.
 
It would have been so much easier for everyone if I had obeyed Dr. Jerome Stasiak and died.
................................................................
December 15, 2009
 
To The Quebec Human Rights Commission
 
 
I am 73 years old and a cancer patient struggling for my life and for justice. I am trying to file a formal complaint against a physician who denied me the right to live.
 
I am running into red tape and the classical run-around with the Quebec Human Rights Commission.
 
I sent you an email (see below) asking for the necessary application papers to file a complaint. I was told to download from your website. I can't do that.
 
I phoned. The person I spoke to this morning suggested that my case may not be eligible for consideration by the Quebec Human Rights Commission.
 
If I had obeyed the doctor who ordered me to go home, on April 1, 2009 I would be dead. (See my report below).
 
I point to your own website message:
 
et des droits de la jeunesse

  What are the rights and freedoms granted under the Charter?

Fundamental freedoms and rights
  • The right to life, personal security, inviolability and freedom, as well as the recognition of the legal personality of every human being [s. 1].
  • I want to file a formal complaint against Dr. Jerome Stasiak who, on April 1, 2009, in the emergency department of The Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, denied me the right to live.
  • Please send me the necessary application forms and information on how to proceed.
 
Phyllis Carter
...........................................................
 
Quebec Human Rights Commission  -

"Not in our jurisdiction"

December 16, 2009

This afternoon, I spoke with -

Technicienne à l'accueil et à l'évaluation
Direction de la protection et de la défense des droits
CDPDJ
360, rue St-Jacques O., 2e étage
Montréal (Québec)  H2Y 1P5
Tél.: (514) 873-5146, poste 334 
ou 1-800-361-6477
Fax: (514) 873-6032
Courrier électronique:
 
She said that it is clear that my human rights were violated, but my case is not in the jurisdiction of the Quebec Human rights Commissions' because their mandate does not apply unless I can prove that the doctor discriminated against me.
 
I asked her in whose jurisdiction this is. She suggested I get a lawyer. I have no money for a lawyer. She referred me to the College des Medecins du Quebec who have already told me that the Jewish General Hospital should investigate itself. The Jewish General Hospital has already told me that Dr. Stasiak is sorry and he apologizes. Case closed. 
 
Rosemary Steinberg, Ombudsperson for the Jewish General Hospital has referred the case to Dr. Fred Lowy for review, but based on everything I have experienced so far, I expect the cover-up will continue.
 
Ms. Laurin then referred me to Protecteur de Citoyen de Quebec at 514-873-2030. I will try. It is survival of the most stubborn. The weak just die and are silenced forever. I am very weak but I am not dead yet.
 
But the only real solution in an unjust society is to die. There must be someone "up there" in whose jurisdiction my case will fall.
 
 
Phyllis Carter
.......................................................................
 
To: Dr. Yves Bolduc,
Quebec Minister of Health
 
November 30, 2009
 
Sir,
 
I have written to you about this matter in the past and received only an automated response. This is a serious matter and I am asking you to take it seriously.
 
It has been eight months since my life was put in jeopardy by Dr. Jerome Stasiak in the emergency department at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal.
 
Chief of Staff, Dr. Joseph Portnoy's response to this abuse is totally unacceptable and the College des medecins du Quebec persists in telling me to let the Jewish General Hospital investigate itself.
 
Clearly, the hospital has no intention of taking any action and is trying to bury this case. While I am still alive, I will not allow this abuse to stand.
 
What do you intend to do about it?
 
Phyllis Carter
 
Note:  No reply received.
 

3 comments:

lobster party / parti homard said...

Phyllis;

My mother (also called Phyllis) was the victim of a botched Pacemaker insertion at the CHU Sherbrooke, in the Fall of 2005. She hemorrhaged and almost bled to death when the femoral artery was ruptured by the probe (a 1-in-a-million shot, I am told). She suffered two minor strokes and the resulting on-and-off dementia until her death 2½ years later. In a lucid moment, she authorized me to consult her files, and Archives agreed, but then a nurse (neither legally not medically authorized) countermanded that because my mother was (unofficially) not always competent, and because she signed in pencil, the only thing we had at hand, so I was never able to consult her files, nor the surgeon's and anaesthetist's notes from the procedure.

I'm still furious about it, but apparently powerless to confront the medical mafia.

lobster party / parti homard said...

P.S.: Lobster Party is actually me, Nigel Spencer. I just noticed the mislabelling!

Phyllis Carter said...

April 14, 2010

I just came upon your comments here, Nigel. Just as there are so many women called Phyllis Carter, I see that there are also many men called Nigel Spencer.

In real life, we see the person we are speaking to. Online, it is not so clear. I find that uncomfortable.

Could you clear the fog a little by telling me something about yourself ?

I am interested in the experience you have described. We should care and we should speak out. We should make waves. We should make our cases known and expose wrongs. When something like this happens, we feel so alone. It's important that we support other victims of injustice.