Sunday, December 26, 2010

AND THE SLAVES SANG - FORGIVENESS IS THE PROBLEM

 

I believe that Christianity was largely responsible for the success of slavery in America. Human beings from Africa, by their labour and suffering, supported the economy of America. These so-called "savages" were kept under control by the lash - but perhaps more so, by the indoctrination into Christianity. They were taught to be peaceful, docile, and obedient to their white masters, forgiving them for their trespasses in return for the most meagre living conditions and a promise of reward in heaven.

And so the wounded and scarred and raped and humiliated African people prayed as they picked the cotton and reaped tobacco under the scorching sun. And they sang to the Lord melodiously.

To this day, so many of the descendents of the African slaves are devout Christians who continue to forgive their white masters. They are among the sweetest, kindest people you will ever meet in church. But many of their grandchildren are rebellious and we see them on the television news and wonder why.

Phyllis Carter 

I present here arguments for and against forgiveness. This is an exchange with a Facebook friend. I have deleted her family name and mended some of her spelling, but I have not altered her message. 
 
Robin
December 23
 
Hi Phyllis.
I read something about the police not helping you. I was a victim too, but by the police. I was living in California..just 12 miles from here. I am disabled and was falsely accused by angry neighbours who were mad because I asked them to keep the music turned down since I had just gotten out of the hospital. I don't want to get into all of the details because it will infuriate me all over again, but I will tell you, that the police violated my constitutional rights without punishment. God have mercy on them individually as they had mercy on me when they meet Him. I'm sorry that happened to you; and to me. We live in a fallen world. I'm sorry.
 
December 23
 
From my heart to yours, Robin.
We live many miles apart, but are victims of the same heartless system where authorities can abuse the innocent without any consequences. At least now, with the Internet, we - the victims - can join together around the world and cry out against these injustices. We are no longer silent and we are no longer alone. I invite you to read my blogs. You won't need Agatha Christie.

THE DAWN MCSWEENEY ROBBERY
http://dawnmcsweeney.blogspot.com/
and
PHYLLIS CARTER'S JOURNAL
Building Camelot
One Essay At A Time
http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/
 
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdawnmcsweeney.blogspot.com%2F&h=70de9
dawnmcsweeney.blogspot.com
 
 
Robin
December 26
 
Thank you Phyllis. Very nice to meet you. All I know is, like it says in the Bible, that the wicked wont go unpunished forever. There IS a God who loves us and hypocrites will pay greatly in their time to come. Better to be punished here instead of after out spirits leave our bodies because that's forever. Here, it's temporary. That's the comfort I find even though there are times when I'd like to see it happen now. With all my heart I know that God wont let this slide. We all die physically and we all answer to the creator of the universe

I will read your blogs. Thank you again and Happy Holidays to you. --  Robin.
 
December 26
 
Dear Phyllis. I too have health issues from stress and life in general. There are times when it is extremely difficult to go beyond our hurt and anger to forgive those who have wronged us. I see that this is eating you up and will only add to your health problems and upset. My mom reminds me now and then to forgive. Forgiveness isn't for those who wronged us, it's for us so that we are set free from the bondage of our pain. To allow unforgiveness only aids our enemies to continue to harm us. How ? Well they certainly aren't losing any sleep over anything, nor are they living in continuous torment. God WILL deal with them. Look at what was done to Jesus. His reply was, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". In Revelations it's very clear what God has planned for those who do the things they do. You have fought long and hard. You have been in misery far too long Phyllis. ..Let it go now. What they -  Dawn - did was horribly wrong, but let God deal with her. He knows her through and through. He knows what to do and He WILL deal with her when the time is right. Don't let this eat you up. Read Mathew 6:14, 19-20+ ..? Jesus spoke of similar matters. About thieves breaking in to steal and forgiving them. Forgiveness sets us free from our lack of peace, and from our hurt and anger, when we let go and let God deal with it. Forget about when,etc. Forgiveness also helps preserve our souls. When we die, we dont take any possessions with us. The only single thing we have that we take with us is our souls/spirits. God is Spirit. Let Him deal with your niece. Focus instead on living your time remaining, in peace. The only person who can take your soul from you, is God...Our creator who gave us life to begin with. NO ONE on this earth can rob you of that. ...Not even Dawn...unless you let her. I hope this helps you. You deserve better than days and nights filled with misery, anger and sadness. It's truly not worth stressing over. God is your provider. He gives us what we need and more. Your memories are in your heart. So much was taken from me more than just a few times. People are cruel and those who have wronged us? Who has words for them? I don't. There have been so many times when I felt, and now and then, I still feel so bewildered and enraged. And when I feel like that, after I've voiced it to God, I'm reminded of his love, his forgiveness for things I've done in my life that weren't always right, and forgiveness is what sets me free when I feel angry for those who have done me wrong. Everyone dies, and so will they when their time here is finished. Live each day to it's fullest Phyllis. Go outside and take note of the beauty you see. Flowers, trees, the beauty in the eyes of animals and in children and notice all of the beauty around us. Go to a movie...a very funny one. Sing and dance when you feel horrible. Music always helps me feel better. We cant control what others do to us, we can only control how we react to the situation and those who've wronged us. I hope this helps you. Take care Phyllis and stay strong. Merry Christmas. -- Robin.
 
December 26
 
FORGIVENESS :

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about this, Robin. I have heard all this before and I do not agree. I am glad we live in a society where people are free to think differently, but after decades of bible study and serious consideration, I conclude that injustice thrives because the church has taught victims to forgive. In that way, the good suffer and die while the evil ones thrive and multiply. I welcome your friendship and good will but I will not keep you as a Facebook friend if I see messages like this. I must reserve all my strength to fight for justice. Those who plead for forgiveness for criminals drain my energy and I have none to spare. I have serious battles to fight so that the innocent might have a chance to survive crime and injustice while good people pray for God to help them.

I sincerely wish you well.

Phyllis

Here I present some brief excerpts on the history of slavery in America.

1619

The other crucial event that would play a role in the development of America was the arrival of Africans to Jamestown. A Dutch slave trader exchanged his cargo of Africans for food in 1619. The Africans became indentured servants, similar in legal position to many poor Englishmen who traded several years labor in exchange for passage to America. The popular conception of a racial-based slave system did not develop until the 1680's. (A Brief History of Jamestown, The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, Richmond, VA 23220.

Although the number of African American slaves grew slowly at first, by the 1680s they had become essential to the economy of Virginia. During the 17th and 18th centuries, African American slaves lived in all of England's North American colonies. Before Great Britain prohibited its subjects from participating in the slave trade, between 600,000 and 650,000 Africans had been forcibly transported to North America. ("Immigration," Microsoft Encarta 98 Encyclopedia. Microsoft Corporation.)

In fact, the first twenty "Negar" slaves had arrived from the West Indies in a Dutch vessel and were sold to the governor and a merchant in Jamestown in late August of 1619, as reported by John Rolfe to John Smith back in London. (Robinson, Donald L. Slavery and the Structure of American Politics, 1765 - 1820. NY: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich, 1971)

By 1625, ten slaves were listed in the first census of Jamestown. The first public slave auction of 23 individuals, disgracefully, was held in Jamestown square itself in 1638

1640
Whipping and branding, borrowed from Roman practice via the Iberian-American colonies, appeared early and with vicious audacity. One Virginian slave, named Emanuel, was convicted of trying to escape in July, 1640, and was condemned to thirty stripes, with the letter "R" for "runaway" branded on his cheek and "work in a shackle one year or more as his master shall see cause." Charles P.M. Outwin, Securing the Leg Irons: Restriction of Legal Rights for Slaves in Virginia and Maryland, 1625 – 1791,

One characteristic which set American slavery apart was its racial basis. In America, with only a few early and insignificant exceptions, all slaves were Africans, and almost all Africans were slaves. This placed the label of inferiority on black skin and on African culture. In other societies, it had been possible for a slave who obtained his freedom to take his place in his society with relative ease.

In America, however, when a slave became free, he was still obviously an African. The taint of inferiority clung to him. Not only did white America become convinced of white superiority and black inferiority, but it strove to impose these racial beliefs on the Africans themselves. Slave masters gave a great deal of attention to the education and training of the ideal slave, In general, there were five steps in molding the character of such a slave: strict discipline, a sense of his own inferiority, belief in the master's superior power, acceptance of the master's standards, and, finally, a deep sense of his own helplessness and dependence. At every point this education was built on the belief in white superiority and black inferiority. Besides teaching the slave to despise his own history and culture, the master strove to inculcate his own value system into the African's outlook. The white man's belief in the African's inferiority paralleled African self hate.

http://innercity.org/holt/slavechron.html

No comments: