Friday, January 7, 2011

JOHNNY JELLYBEAN AND THE SEPARATISTS

 
 CTV's 50th ANNIVERSARY - JOHNNY JELLYBEAN
 
 
 
Stanley Peters was "Johnny Jellybean's" side-kick on the program and I recall that they were buddies off-screen as well. He was such a sweet kid. Stan's family and ours have been friends - but more like relatives - for four generations. As teens, Stanley and I were into all kinds of fun together. His nickname was "Caesar", and he kept our group in stitches all the time. Sorry. I don't have photos available. Stan and his wife and son now live in B.C.
 
Incidentally, my father, George Rubin of Metropolitan News, 1248 Peel Street, worked with Bill Tetley in NDG way back when he was first trying to get elected and I had some interesting encounters with him in the Quebec Liberal Party. Tetley and other big names at the Quebec Liberal Party's convention at the Chateau Frontenac in 1971 promised me that the plenary session would deal with the question of the Language of Education in Quebec which was on the printed agenda, and had been the subject of a workshop.
 
Instead the chair person called the assembly to a sudden end and sent everyone home to avoid discussion of the subject. Winnifred Potter, Frank Quinn, John Agnew and I protested, but the Provincial Liberals were determined to ensure that the small "Anglo" contingent never got to speak for our rights.
 
I tore up my membership card before the entire assembly. Others wept openly. The Liberal Party whips snatched the reporters' tapes and shut down the cameras as attested to by Evelyn St. Pierre of The North Shore News. But Stephen Phyzicky of CBC escaped that onslaught. His camera had battery back-up and my protest was seen on CBC National News from British Columbia to Newfoundland. 
 
See PHYLLIS CARTER'S JOURNAL - FREE MAN CHOKES ON FORCE-FED LANGUAGE -
 
Phyllis Mass Carter

1 comment:

Phyllis Carter said...

Note: The caption under CTV's picture was not written by me. The lady was not MY Mom.