Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD ?

 
 
 
 
Exploring one's own mind is a luxury afforded those who have earned the free time to do nothing more important than think. It is a necessity for those who crave more knowledge and understanding and the excitement of new horizons. It is the comfort of those who do not have the physical means to climb mountains.
 
It is an escape from the clatter of banal chatter on television and the din of meaningless trivia that oppresses us daily. It can be a respite from the harsh realities of earthquakes, plagues and wars.
 
Just thinking.
 
I was doing nothing but thinking when I remembered seeing Franchot Tone and his co-star at the world premiere of their movie, The Eiffel Tower, at the Capitol Theatre in Montreal when I was very young. But I just couldn't remember the name of the co-star. I remembered that he also played the role of The Penguin in a Batman movie. But his name eluded me. It really didn't matter. But, as usual, when I can't think of a name, it gnaws at me. So I gave up trying to sleep and went to the computer. Of course, Burgess Meredith. Now I can rest, right? Of course not.
 
Burgess Meredith. There was an author named Burgess. Follow the yellow brick road. Thornton Waldo Burgess, Cape Cod, conservationist, author of children's books.
 
 Waldo, eh?
 
Ralph Waldo Emerson. Let me see what he had to say. Quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson: Why does that lead me to remember Henry David Thoreau - Ah! Cape Cod.
 
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.  Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
Follow the yellow brick road, or better yet, pave a new one. And so, here, I have paved a new path, created a new creation. Sleep is a luxury I cannot afford.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
March 22, 2011

No comments: