Friday, July 29, 2011

COINCIDENCE ? SYNCHRONICITY ? OR WAS THIS AMAZING GRACE ?

 
 
    
 
 
I went to the clinic this afternoon for my cancer treatment. I waited for about an hour and then checked with the receptionist to ask if I had been forgotten since it doesn't usually take that long to be seen. The receptionist was just about to check when a nurse came out and called my name.
 
Then there was another delay. The nurse was experienced in doing injections of this kind but she was not familiar with the medication. And by what she was doing and saying, I knew she was on the wrong track. Fortunately, I am hyper vigilant, and I knew what had to be done. Linda was confused about the number of injections I needed - two - not one - and the timing. She seemed blind to the second box that was right by her hand along with the first. So I opened the second box and showed her the second syringe and medication.
 
Fortunately, Linda is not like one of those arrogant nurses who knows everything and she listened to me. And fortunately, when I pressed her, she called to my nurse at the hospital who knows. And fortunately, although it was 4:00 PM and the cancer clinic at the hospital closes at 4:00 PM, my nurse answered the phone right away. and, fortunately, Linda learned exactly what it was she had to do. And fortunately, she is very sweet and she did not take offence to my teaching.
 
And so, the procedure, though delayed and delayed, went off without a hitch. And, coincidentally, this was Linda's last day at the clinic as she is going to live in the U.S.
 
So everything that happened involved a lot of synchronicity. Especially delaying me so that when I returned to my apartment building, a young man - everyone is younger than me these days - was just crossing the parking lot as I was approaching.
 
And he asked if I needed " a hand." I said, " No, thank you. But I could probably use a couple of new legs."
 
He was walking toward the building ahead of me when he suddenly stopped in his tracks and turned back, and politely managed to lightly touch my shoulder, saying this would do no harm - and he covered me in prayer. Well, if I had been other than a Jewish-Christian, he was taking his life in his hands. But as a once teacher associated with the healing ministry -The International Order of St. Luke the Physician - I deeply appreciate loving prayer. Regardless of one's religion, loving care is healing. And like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt.
 
So Steve and I got to talking as he opened the front door to the building for me. Coincidentally, at that moment a Muslim couple were coming out and the gentleman held open the inner doors. Some coincidence.
 
Synchronicity. I have been praying for help - a friend with muscles and a good heart who might help me out with some things I can't do for myself from time to time.
 
Well, Steve quickly gave me his contact numbers and told me to call him at any time if there is anything I need.
 
Coincidence?  Synchronicity? I would call this Amazing Grace ! 
 
Synchronicity ? There was even more:
 
I had not slept in two days - a story in itself - and I had fallen into a deep, deep sleep late that morning. When the phone rang I slowly, slowly, dragged myself to answer.
 
It was my hospital oncology nurse, calling just to see how I was doing. I was so out of it, I could hardly speak. I didn't even think what day it was. It was about 1:00 P.M.
 
It is worth noting that I use no narcotics and I haven't enjoyed a glass of wine in a long time.
 
A few minutes after I hung up, I suddenly realized I was scheduled for my injections at the local clinic at 2:20 P.M. If my nurse had not phoned just then, I would have surely missed this very vital appointment.
 
It doesn't end there. After I had my injections, the clinic nurse advised me to sit in the waiting room for fifteen minutes to make sure there was no adverse reaction.
 
But I did not sit in the waiting room for fifteen minutes. I did something I have not done before. I had come upon a discarded copy of The Globe and Mail and so I stayed a while to read an article that had caught my attention.
 
It was then that I headed back to my place and "coincidentally" encountered the stranger who offered me a helping "hand."
 
Synchronicity ?
 
Hmmmm.
 
 

No comments: