Wednesday, August 3, 2011

THE PLIGHT OF TENANTS - MONTREAL, QUEBEC - AND ELSEWHERE

 
 
Over the years, I have experienced and witnessed abuses by a few really nasty landlords. Threatened by a LaSalle landlord while my husband was in hospital, I had to flee my home and go into a women's shelter. I have suffered pounding noise, freezing cold, threats and physical injury.
 
Landlords and their agents don't do their nasty stuff in front of witnesses, so I can sympathize with tenants who tell me their experiences. There is rarely anyone who can or will testify on their behalf. But I have witnessed and I have investigated and I have testified in court on behalf of abused tenants.  
 
Here are some detailed reports.
 
The most recent -
 
1989
 
MONTREAL POLICE DODGE, STIFLE AND BURY VITAL REPORTS
 
When Sabrina tried to start a tenants' association in a tenement on the West island in Montreal, she nearly lost her life. It turned out the janitors were members of a motorcycle gang known to police. But the police Sabrina summoned to the scene  failed to make a report of the attempt to burn her alive in her car in the building's garage and the criminals walked out of Quebec criminal court smiling - much to the chagrin of the Montreal Police detectives who were protecting her and her aged husband. The criminals were not smiling when they left civil court. The story was featured in The Montreal Gazette.
 
 
 
May, 2003
 
QUEBEC COURTS - "LET'S MAKE A DEAL"
 
How one Cote des Neiges, Montreal, slum lord welcomed new Canadians
 
 
 
November, 2009
 
SACRIFICING JUSTICE FOR PEACE - JUST THIS ONCE
 
No one told me workmen were going to smear carpet glue in front of my door.
 
It took weeks for my leg to heal.
 
There were witnesses, X-Rays, medical reports, and physical evidence - but I didn't want to complain. I just wanted to live in peace.
 
 
See photo of my leg - following.
 
 

No comments: