Sunday, November 13, 2011

ON AGING - IN ANSWER TO A " FORWARD "

 
I do not sign petitions,
I do not play games,
I do not forward "forwards".
 
But, in response to a request to -
Please forward this piece on Aging
To at least seven people ...
 
I don't dance,
But I enjoy the music -
Of the 1930's and 1940's.
 
I hate getting old.
I hate the wrinkles.
I hate the aches.
I hate the worries,
The limitations,
The fears,
The memories of my failures.
 
I love the freedom of doing
Whatever I want to do -
Whenever I want to do it -
When I am able to do
What I want to do.
 
I am not forgetful.
And I thank The Creator for that.
In fact my memory is so sharp,
I have no peace.
 
I can't really enjoy old movies,
Because I remember every detail
Before the picture starts ...
Except the characters' names.
 
I do weep over my lost loves -
People and pets -
Especially through the nights.
There is nothing that can stop that.
 
I don't care what people think or say,
Unless they are people I respect -
And there are few of those these days.
 
But I am grateful for the kindness of
Friends.
 
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 

No comments: