Thursday, February 23, 2012

WILL OMNIBUS CRIME BILL GIVE CRIME VICTIMS ANY RIGHTS ? - CBC NEWS

 
FACEBOOK
February 23, 2012
 
A former MP, retired judges and the former federal ombudsman for victims of crime were on Parliament Hill Thursday to list off a number of complaints about the government's omnibus crime bill.

They are part of a group called the Smart Justice Network that is trying to promote discussion in Canada about "safe and effective" responses to crime.

"I think fear is at the basis of much of the government's work here. And what it's going to do, unfortunately, is make Canadians, I think, more fearful and less safe," said David Daubney, a former Progressive Conservative MP in the 1980s.
www.cbc.ca
Retired judges, the former federal ombudsman for victims, and other justice advocates were on Parliament Hill to criticize the government's omnibus crime bill, now under examination in the Senate.
 
Phyllis Carter   I am a crime victim. I have not read the Omnibus Bill. Legalese is not something the average person can cope with. All I want is justice.
 
I was attacked and robbed in my home in NDG in Montreal. I managed to call 911, hoping the police would come and rescue me.
 
Instead, the police helped the thief.
 
The police forbid me to take any of my belongings from my home. The officer took me out of my home by my arm and left me abandoned in the street. There was no legal procedure, no justification. I was a 60 year old widow suffering from cancer. I was not a threat to anyone.
 
Everything of value that I had worked for all my life was left in the house under the complete control of the thief, Dawn McSweeney and those she calls her "partners in crime" on her own blog.
 
I care about justice. Everyone says these crimes are not in their jurisdiction.
 
How many other crime victims are doubly victimized by the police and then victimized again by being abandoned by those who are paid to uphold the law?
 
Oh, yes. Canada has a lot of laws. They serve the needs of lawyers. But who serves the needs of crime victims ? Anyone ?
 
Detailed reports at THE DAWN MCSWEENEY ROBBERY -
 
dawnmcsweeney.blogspot.com

No comments: