Saturday, July 20, 2013

I REMEMBER BEN SPIEGELMAN - HE WAS A KIND MAN

 
This blog is all about justice. I consider it justice to remember good people and to expose villains,
 
Tonight, I remember my father's cousin, Ben Spiegelman.
 
Ben was a husband, a father and a grandfather. As a young man, he was a champion swimmer, an athlete. My Pop said he was known as "Speed." Ben operated his own printing business in Montreal.
 
I'm really bad at remembering dates, but The Montreal Star reported this story back then.
 
There was a heavy rain storm one day. Ben didn't want his employees to have to find their way home by public transport. He decided to give the two of them a lift home.
 
As Ben drove into the Decarie underpass road, he suddenly found his car deep under water. Perhaps he had his seat belt on. I don't recall. But he couldn't get out. He had a heart attack and he died.
 
People up on Decarie Blvd. managed to get Ben's employees up out of the water and saved their lives.
 
I think of Ben Speigelman. He was a kind man. A gentle person. He died because he decided to go out of his way to drive his employees home. He would not have been on Decarie if he had gone straight home.
 
I always feel sad when I remember him.
 

No comments: