Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CANADIAN GOVERNMENT ABANDONS QUEBEC CRIME VICTIMS ON TECHNICALITIES

August 28, 2013
 
I just received a request from a Canadian human rights activist asking me to respond to a survey on the rights of crime victims in Canada.
Do you think a book, for victims of crime listing local services and other important information about crisis and resources would have been or would be helpful?  Yes__________  No____
Here is my response:
 
As you know, I have been trying to get the Montreal Police to take action in my case since I was attacked and robbed in my home in NDG, in Montreal on October 7, 1996. Since a Montreal Police officer helped Dawn McSweeney to rob me, I have not been able to get anyone to help me.
 
There is no question about court in my case. The Montreal Police refuse to take any action. They refuse to charge the criminals. They refuse to bring the case to criminal court. They just ignore me. 
 
Since a Montreal Police officer helped Dawn McSweeney to rob me, no one is willing to touch this case. The case never gets to court. I am not looking for money. This is not a civil case. It is a criminal case. That's why I am looking for a lawyer who is willing to sue the Montreal Police for one hundred thousand dollars in damages to my health and to my family caused by their deliberate negligence, irresponsibility and their cover-up and repeated refusal to take appropriate legal action to recover everything Dawn McSweeney stole from me and from my aged parents and my siblings and their children - the legal heirs specifically named in my father's will, and their refusal to charge the criminals in this case, Dawn McSweeney and those she calls her "partners in crime" on her own blog - and the police officer who made these crimes possible by helping Dawn McSweeney to rob me in the first place, physically removing me from my home without any justification or legal procedure, and then failing to file a report, and the Montreal Police who have persisted in refusing to take appropriate legal action from the day of the robbery to this very day.
 
As soon as my boxes were returned to me by Dawn McSweeney - minus all my jewellery and other valuables - in March, 1997 - I provided the Montreal Police with documents, appraisals, receipts, photos, insurance papers, and a minutely detailed seven page inventory of everything Dawn McSweeney stole. I provided the Montreal Police with floppy discs giving all the details of the crimes. They just ignore me. They do nothing. I have written to them dozens of times. I just get automated replies.
 
Years ago, I tried to get the Quebec Prosecutor's office to take action. They did not even bother to respond.
 
I appealed to Irwin Cotler, the famous "human rights" advocate, when he was Solicitor General of Canada. He told me crime was not in his jurisdiction. And so I fight on, day and night, week after week, year after year.
 
Warren Allmand, a highly esteemed Canadian, looked at my file and told me the same thing - crime was not in his jurisdiction.
 
I appealed to Quebec Human Rights - Droits de la personne. They told me I was "too late" for justice. It went on and on.
 
Marlene Jennings, Liberal member of Parliament for many years and Quebec's Deputy Police Ethics Commissioner, stated at two public meetings in Montreal - one - a Liberal Party meeting and the other at Rosedale United Church - "Mrs. Carter's rights were violated three times." But she said she couldn't help me because crime is not in the Federal jurisdiction.
 
So you see, I have been beating my head on stone walls day and night, year after year, and still I persist in demanding justice.
 
What I did not realize at first, in my naivete, is that Montreal City Hall is riddled with corruption. Clearly corruption trickles down to the Montreal Police and the Federal Government will not help crime victims in Quebec.
 
Canadian citizens who are crime victims in Montreal, Quebec are abandoned by the Canadian Government on technicalities.
 
This will be a very important case for a smart lawyer, and the lawyer who wins my case against the Montreal Police can have the entire $100,000. purse.
 
I do not want money. I demand justice.
 
 
Phyllis Carter
 

No comments: