Officially launched in October 2007 by New York Restoration Project (NYRP) and the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, MillionTreesNYC is one of 127 goals set forth under Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg's PlaNYC, the city's sweeping, long-term sustainability blueprint. An innovative, public-private initiative with an important and ambitious goal – to plant and care for one million new trees across the city's five boroughs by 2015 –MillionTreesNYC brings the many environmental, health, social and economic benefits that trees provide to all facets of city life.
MillionTreesNYC is a partnership like no other: government, neighborhood groups, educational institutions, individual citizens, the private and philanthropic sectors, and corporate America collaborating to achieve a shared goal – to make New York City greener, healthier and more sustainable for future generations. The New York City Department of Parks & Recreation and other municipal agencies will plant 60 percent of the initiative's million trees along city streets, in parks and on public rights of way. The remaining 40 percent – coordinated through NYRP – is being planted by non-profit and community-based organizations, corporate and community volunteers, commercial and residential developers, and landowners and managers, as well as New York City homeowners.
Today, NYRP has been joined by a virtual army of like-minded individuals and groups throughout New York City and – in just two years – MillionTreesNYC has planted more than 430,000 trees – a total that puts efforts 20 percent ahead of schedule. MillionTreesNYC has quickly become a citywide movement that is engaging and energizing New Yorkers of every background and interest in not only planting trees and fostering greater respect for the city's urban forest, but in volunteerism, environmental education and public policies that will lead to a more beautiful, healthy and more sustainable New York City for all.