Saturday, March 8, 2014

SOME OF THE WORST CRIMINALS ARE THE BEST LIARS

 
 
Whenever I watch true crime investigations such as 48 Hours, I am reminded of the 1946 Ginger Rogers movie, Heartbeat.
 
Professor Aristide (Basil Rathbone) runs a school for pickpockets in Paris. He takes on pupils like Yves (Mikhail Rasumny) and young Arlette (Ginger Rogers) by testing their dishonesty.
 
The images that stay with me are the lessons the pickpocket recruits get from Aristide on how to deny they have done the crime.
 
Yves is especially good at it. " Who? Me sir? Oh, no, sir! Not me, sir!"
 
The recruits repeat the exercise again and again until, with wide eyes, they can convincingly deny any involvement in the crimes.
 
Watching the eyes of the accused in any situation, I remember, "Heartbeat".
 
Even before I took my first job as a private investigator for Buck Fortin of West End Investigation in Montreal when I was in my twenties, I could sense when someone was lying.
 
Maybe we're born with it. Maybe my skills are the result of my early experiences. But I have decades of evidence to support my claim that I can usually tell if someone is lying, no matter how they may protest with a straight face. My record of solved cases for Buck and later for Pinkerton are proof.
 

No comments: