Wednesday, April 2, 2014

ABUSE AT THE JEWISH GENERAL HOSPITAL - NOW THAT MY BROTHER IS DEAD, I CAN TELL

 
 
I want to start by making it clear that the abuses at the Jewish General Hospital that I report are specific to the events and individuals involved in each case, and the system of cover up inherent in the hospital's practices. These reports should not reflect on all the brilliant, caring doctors and nurses who also work at the Jewish General Hospital, one of the best hospitals in North America.
 
Now I report what happened to my brother, Stephen Rubin, at the Jewish General Hospital about two years ago.
 
Stephen was ill all his life. He suffered from Crohn's disease since he was a schoolboy. As he grew older, he became more and more ill. Finally, he was being treated at the Jewish General Hospital for lymphoma, a result of the Crohn's disease.
 
One day, in the cancer clinic, my brother was receiving blood transfusions. It was getting close to 4:00 P.M. The nurse came and told Stephen that he needed more blood transfusions, but the clinic was closing and everyone wanted to go home. She told him to go home and come back the next day for the blood transfusion because they didn't have time to wait for the blood to be administered.
 
Weak and sick and angry, Stephen told the nurse there was a hospital full of doctors and nurses who could oversee a blood transfusion at any time of the day or night, and he refused to leave.
 
At that point, rather than have Stephen moved to the Emergency department where he could complete his treatment under competent supervision, the nurse called Security and two burly security guards forced my sick brother to leave. The stress was horrible. My brother was so sick.
 
Stephen did not want me to tell anyone about this. He had too much pain and aggravation in his life already. But my brother died last year, He was just in his 60's, and it hurts me so much to know that, not only did he suffer from his illnesses, he suffered at the hands of cold, heartless hospital employees and burly security staff who "just obey orders". 
 
How cruel and selfish can you be and still call yourself a nurse? See my other reports of abuse at the Jewish General Hospital listed below.
 
There can be no doubt that such abuses happen at other hospitals. Patients and their families are just too afraid to talk. But we MUST ! Patients suffer needlessly because of the silence.
 
I too am a cancer patient at the Jewish General Hospital and I am always deeply grateful to my brilliant and caring oncologist and the many nurses technicians, office staff, cleaning personnel and volunteers who do not deserve the scorn I reserve for those who hurt us - and get away with it because the system covers up the abuses.
 
Phyllis Carter
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ABUSE IN A MONTREAL HOSPITAL - THE TRUTH IS STIFLED BY FEAR
http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/abuse-in-montreal-hospital-truth-is.html
 
 
HAUNTED BY PAINFUL MEMORIES OF NEGLIGENCE IN HOSPITAL EMERGENCY
http://phylliscartersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/10/haunted-by-painful-memories-of_1031.html
 
 

No comments: