Saturday, January 30, 2016

NOBODY'S DOG


Diane Pitt to Found in the Pound UK

Sharing this. Sorry in advance if I upset anyone. It's not my intention, but this is what is going on. This is why I share posts. These are someone's dogs, someone's pets. But maybe their story wasn't shared enough or maybe they didn't have Facebook. You cannot lose or find dogs without help. Maybe we can make a difference. 
NOBODY'S DOG
Today is the death day of nobody's dog
Nothing will mark it but a note in the log
I'm faceless and nameless and no tears will fall
For I know in your world I have no worth at all
To you, my sweet someone, I'm a friend and a dear
We ran the wind daily and you held me so near
But the gate was left open - I chanced a walk on my own
I'd have cowered in fear if only I'd known
I know how you cried on the night that I strayed
I know how you searched, I know how you prayed
But I went to a pound far far from our home
Where I crouched in despair in my kennel alone
I know that you phoned for I heard your dear voice
And I hoped you would hear me so I barked myself hoarse 
Although I'm a Lab cross with stockings all white
On their form I'm a Staff cross - the description's not right
So they said I'm not here and I sank to my bed
My kennel cough's worse and I can't raise my head
The rescue came yesterday but they hadn't a place
For an un-neutered cross breed with his mucus-streaked face
If only you'd come to search for me here
You would have known me at once, you would have sensed I was near
You would have sorted my ills, you would have carried me home
And I promise our God no more would I roam
Now my eyes plead for mercy for my seven days are done
And I am waiting with dread for the final vet run
No arms will caress me as they inject me to death
No words will comfort me as I take my last breath
When the body man comes, it is fitting I'm found
In a bin bag in the freezer in the depths of the pound
Thrown away like the rubbish - no respect and no shame
Denied even the time to find you again
My loyalty and devotion they did cruelly betray
Without microchip or name tag, I am just a dispensable stray
Once waggy-tailed, once proud, beloved and free
Oh Dad look with pain at what mankind's done to me!

No comments: